Many interested students find it very difficult to join in IRC channel. IRC is the main source of communication with large number of contributors. In IRC channel we can see Mozilla Employees, Long time Contributors and first contributors and some time bots to help.
- Visit https://client00.chat.mibbit.com
- Here you have to fill 3 things
- For Connect from the drop down select Mozilla [webirc]
- For Nick you have to give your favorite nick name
- In Channel you have to give channel name, eg #mozillatn
- After enter values Press connect
After giving the details you will have a screen like above, if there are many participants you will see their nick names in right hand side. From there it is like normal group chat. For above you can either chat from Mozilla Firefox or from Google Chrome
Medium Difficult Way
For this I have shown example using Firefox Browser
- First Type about:addons in address bar
- Then in search bar (Search for all-addons) type ChatZilla
- In Available addons you can find (chatzilla 0.9.9.91)
- If you have already install then you will be find it in My addons
- Restart your browser
- Then you can click on open menu (right top in address bar row)
- There you can find Chatzilla. Open it by clicking
- When you open Chatzilla you will see like above.
- Then Click on the Moznet, it will take some time to load. Wait till that
- So after loading type /join #moztn to join in MozTN channel
- Beyond that as before you can start chatting.
You can choose any way you are comfortable with. And start talking to contributors
In our previous post we have see how to create a repo in Github.com. In this post Would like to introduce how to bring that repo from Github.com to the local machine, so you can make changes in your local desktop machine and later push them to the github.com so can view at any time.
Install the Git
- First We need to Install the git in our machine.
- Visit http://git-scm.com/download/ and choose your machine type, either Mac, Windows or Linux based
- I use Ubuntu so I will type “
apt-get install git” in my terminal
- When password is asked give it, so the installation will get completed.
Cloning the repo to Machine
- Then we have to clone the repo from Github to our localmachine
- Visit the repo page, in my case (https://github.com/viswaprasath/viswaprasath.github.io)
- You can see HTTPS clone URL above Download Zip button
- Below that a URL is given, copy that URL full you can click the button next to the url to copy the url.
- Open Terminal & type the command
git clone https://github.com/viswaprasath/viswaprasath.github.io.git
In your case the url will be different. So you will be getting a folder in your machine with the name viswaprasath.github.io
- Go inside the folder
- Create some files say index.html is mandatory
- I have typed some lines in index.html so when visitor comes to my website he first will see it
<head><title> Welcome to My Website </title>
So When visitors comes in he will see Hello World.
Sending Back to Github
- After making the changes we have to upload the files to github. It is called as push (we send from local to github)
- So first we have to add all the files we have changes. We can do it by type “git add –all”, so all files will be added.
- Then we have to mention why we have added the files type ( git commit -m “Initial commit” ) where initial commit is the message, we can give any message here so we can understand easily.
- Then “git push -u origin master” here we have only one branch as of now and that name is Master, so we are pushing our code to it.
- So it will ask for your username and password.
- Give them correctly. So all the code will be push.
- After that give url in address bar (http://viswaprasath.github.io/) in your case it will change. You will see what you have written in index.html. I gave it as Hello World!
In previous post we had small discussion about creating Github account. In this post we can take a look how to create a small Github Website which is available for Free.
First know your Profile name. After you login in, you can see your avatar at the right top corner. Click that drop down box, in that you will be seeing an option call Your Profile, for me it is https://github.com/viswaprasath , so my profile Name is viswaprasath
Next Step is to create a repo. We can do it very easily, for simply beginner level understanding repo is like a folder which will contain all the project files.
- After visiting your profile click on the repositories tab.
- Then Click on New Button to Create a new repo.
- Or simply click here
So we have to give the repo name. Our target for the day is to create a small website for us. So now we have to create a repo in our name in the following format. username.github.io so I will be creating as viswaprasath.github.io
Then you have to give description about the repo. It will be very useful when you take it in future for Reference.
Then you can check “Initialize this repository with a README” so we can automatically create the ReadME file. If you are ware of the licensing type mention that also. You can learn more about licensing here. So as of Now we have created the simple repo for us.
For the past few years the number of Open source contributors in India is increasing very well. Many of the students/Professionals love to contribute to Open source communities. They do either by writing documents, organizing install fest and so on. Some of the contributors love of do code contribution, but they are not able to get started and stops without even creating the basic accounts. Now would like to share the steps in creating Github profile.
First Step is to visit https://github.com/ You will be seeing the website like below
The next step is to click on the Signup button, which is a small green color button at the top.
You will be promoted to the screen where you have to give your username, Email ID, password and also conform password.
Then after giving proper details you will be prompted to choose the plans. If you would like to have a personal repo you can pay price and buy it or else you can use any number of Public repo.
Click on Finish Singup.
So It is very simple to create the Github Profile. We can do it in few minutes. There is bitbucket which is similar to github. But in current trend most of the Open source Projects are available in github.
Start creating your account today and share exciting projects.
In my previous post I have shared about the Weeks of Contribution – Introduction Week where we had session on Mozilla Location services
Then the second week is all about Localization. For this week we had session organized by Khaleel. In this first week we had the hangouts where we got to know about the various places where we can contribute to the Mozilla Localization. In the second week we got to know more about Mozilla Verbatim. It was one of the wonderful IRC chat we had, and we had maximum participation.
- Karthic Keyan.N
- Keshav Kumar
- Bharath Vijay
- Balaji Tamilselvan
- Mohammed Adam
- Khaleel Jageer – HOST
- Dinesh Mv
- Arvind Srinivas
- Abdul Mohasin
- Venkat Raman
We created our profile during that session, so we can get started to contribute.
We are also tracking the contribution done by each and every contributor for the localization related projects.
We are expecting good number of contributors for this contribution area who can contribute for the long time and take the community forward.
Mozilla Location Services is one of the most interesting contribution done by many Mozillians all over the world. In my previous post I have also mentioned how easy it is to start contributing to MLS services.
So in Tamilnadu we had a small pilot project where we are inviting new contributors either they are FSA, or experience professional to know about various contribution areas of Mozilla and its service. We called it as Weeks of Contribution, I have also shared about it previously and the impact that is going to be created due to this project as post.
In our First week on June 5th 2015 we had a introduction session about this project and what we are going to do and how we are going to create the impact. Then we have declared two main event one of the major event was Mozilla Location services – Tamilnadu Stumbling in a Box.
Our main aim was to capture new places around Tamilnadu. This region is not so active in MLS, so would like to start it. On this first session around 10 community members have joined
Mohammed Adam @mohammed_adam24
We have created etherpad to show our agenda and the whole event is captured in Google+ hangouts on air, so at any time any can watch. The notes about the whole session is also available in etherpad
Below is the one of the happy moment shared by one contributor.
To make the contributors active we have also created a local leaderboard. The main moto is to bring the first time Contributors to start contribution for the MLS project. We hope we will bring some more people into this.