Mozofest is an event organized by SRMKzilla club each and every year. This year they had big plans for this event. Usually they used limited number of events this year they had Speaker series, Hackathon and other events which educate about internet.
Pic Credits: Mozofest Team from SRMKzilla.
I was asked to filter the Call for proposals this year and also to judge the hackathon along with Karthick, Dinesh and Jayesh.
It was 3 days events, and on first day small quiz competition , coding event and other happened.
On 2nd day, Jayesh organized Hands-on session on Rust and on another side Bhuvana & Karan ganeshan was giving session on WebVR. At the end of 2nd day around 5.00 PM 24 hours hackathon was started.
Rust Workshop Agenda
- Mozilla and rust
- What is rust? Why rust?
- Projects where rust is used
- Features of rust
- Ongoing projects on Rust
- Hands on Rust
- Q & A Session
- Subscriptions to rust mailing lists and channels
- SWAG Distribution
- Feedback and Wrap up session
On 3rd day, we had our SRM FOSS Meetup, which was the most awaited moment.
This FOSS meetup was inaugurated by long time Open source contributor from Chennai.
Again on Day 3, we had a small introduction talk on Rust by Jayesh and WebVR by Bhuvana.
We are amazing number of sessions by Mozillians.
- Python 3 by Sriram.
- Getting Started to Open source by Balaji.
- Rust by Jayesh.
- WebVR by Bhuvana.
- Contributing to L10N by Dhinesh.
- QA by Aditya
- Why WebCompact is important by Karthikeyan.
- Getting Started with Privacy by Sayaji.
- Auth0 by Mehul.
- WebExtension by Khaleel.
- PWA by Viswaprasath.
On the evening I gave a basic introduction Progressive Web Apps and Service workers by using a small demo (creating simple About us page).
After all the session were over on that day, we were given opportunity to judge hackathon projects.
- and myself.
It was very organized. Over 600 people from different parts of Tamilnadu came to booth, workshops , talks.
Many interested students find it very difficult to join in IRC channel. IRC is the main source of communication with large number of contributors. In IRC channel we can see Mozilla Employees, Long time Contributors and first contributors and some time bots to help.
- Visit https://client00.chat.mibbit.com
- Here you have to fill 3 things
- For Connect from the drop down select Mozilla [webirc]
- For Nick you have to give your favorite nick name
- In Channel you have to give channel name, eg #mozillatn
- After enter values Press connect
After giving the details you will have a screen like above, if there are many participants you will see their nick names in right hand side. From there it is like normal group chat. For above you can either chat from Mozilla Firefox or from Google Chrome
Medium Difficult Way
For this I have shown example using Firefox Browser
- First Type about:addons in address bar
- Then in search bar (Search for all-addons) type ChatZilla
- In Available addons you can find (chatzilla 0.9.9.91)
- If you have already install then you will be find it in My addons
- Restart your browser
- Then you can click on open menu (right top in address bar row)
- There you can find Chatzilla. Open it by clicking
- When you open Chatzilla you will see like above.
- Then Click on the Moznet, it will take some time to load. Wait till that
- So after loading type /join #moztn to join in MozTN channel
- Beyond that as before you can start chatting.
You can choose any way you are comfortable with. And start talking to contributors
In our previous post we have see how to create a repo in Github.com. In this post Would like to introduce how to bring that repo from Github.com to the local machine, so you can make changes in your local desktop machine and later push them to the github.com so can view at any time.
Install the Git
- First We need to Install the git in our machine.
- Visit http://git-scm.com/download/ and choose your machine type, either Mac, Windows or Linux based
- I use Ubuntu so I will type “
apt-get install git” in my terminal
- When password is asked give it, so the installation will get completed.
Cloning the repo to Machine
- Then we have to clone the repo from Github to our localmachine
- Visit the repo page, in my case (https://github.com/viswaprasath/viswaprasath.github.io)
- You can see HTTPS clone URL above Download Zip button
- Below that a URL is given, copy that URL full you can click the button next to the url to copy the url.
- Open Terminal & type the command
git clone https://github.com/viswaprasath/viswaprasath.github.io.git
In your case the url will be different. So you will be getting a folder in your machine with the name viswaprasath.github.io
- Go inside the folder
- Create some files say index.html is mandatory
- I have typed some lines in index.html so when visitor comes to my website he first will see it
<head><title> Welcome to My Website </title>
So When visitors comes in he will see Hello World.
Sending Back to Github
- After making the changes we have to upload the files to github. It is called as push (we send from local to github)
- So first we have to add all the files we have changes. We can do it by type “git add –all”, so all files will be added.
- Then we have to mention why we have added the files type ( git commit -m “Initial commit” ) where initial commit is the message, we can give any message here so we can understand easily.
- Then “git push -u origin master” here we have only one branch as of now and that name is Master, so we are pushing our code to it.
- So it will ask for your username and password.
- Give them correctly. So all the code will be push.
- After that give url in address bar (http://viswaprasath.github.io/) in your case it will change. You will see what you have written in index.html. I gave it as Hello World!
For the past few years the number of Open source contributors in India is increasing very well. Many of the students/Professionals love to contribute to Open source communities. They do either by writing documents, organizing install fest and so on. Some of the contributors love of do code contribution, but they are not able to get started and stops without even creating the basic accounts. Now would like to share the steps in creating Github profile.
First Step is to visit https://github.com/ You will be seeing the website like below
The next step is to click on the Signup button, which is a small green color button at the top.
You will be promoted to the screen where you have to give your username, Email ID, password and also conform password.
Then after giving proper details you will be prompted to choose the plans. If you would like to have a personal repo you can pay price and buy it or else you can use any number of Public repo.
Click on Finish Singup.
So It is very simple to create the Github Profile. We can do it in few minutes. There is bitbucket which is similar to github. But in current trend most of the Open source Projects are available in github.
Start creating your account today and share exciting projects.